At its 37th Ordinary Session (2005), the Commission decided to appoint two Commissioners to work with the Special Rapporteur on Prisons and Conditions of Detention in Africa, to elaborate a concept paper on the Question of the Death Penalty in Africa. Resolution 79, adopted by the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights at the 38th Ordinary Session held in Banjul, The Gambia from 21st November to 5th December 2005, operationalised the mandate of the Working Group on Death Penalty. The mandate calls for the Working Group to
- further elaborate a Concept Paper on the Death Penalty in Africa;
- develop a strategic plan(s) including a practical and legal framework on the abolition of the Death Penalty;
- collect information and continue to monitor the situation of the application of the Death Penalty in African States;
- develop a funding proposal; and
- submit a progress report at each Ordinary Session of the African Commission.
It also calls upon the Working Group to collaborate with other partners, including International, National, Governmental and Non-Governmental Institutions for the successful fulfilment of its mandate.