- Examine the impact of extractive industries in Africa within the context of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
- Research the specific issues pertaining to the right of all peoples to freely dispose of their wealth and natural resources and to a general satisfactory environment favourable to their development;
- Undertake research on the violations of human and peoples’ rights by non-state actors in Africa;
- Request, gather, receive and exchange information and materials from all relevant sources, including Governments, communities and organizations, on violations of human and peoples’ rights by non-state actors in Africa;
- Inform the Commission on the possible liability of non-state actors for human and peoples’ rights violations under its protective mandate;
- Formulate recommendations and proposals on appropriate measures and activities for the prevention and reparation of violations of human and peoples’ rights by extractive industries in Africa;
- Collaborate with interested donor institutions and NGOs, to raise funds for the Working Group’s activities; Prepare a comprehensive report to be presented to the Commission.
Pursuant to this mandate, the Working Group hereby seeks nominations of interested candidates for consideration to serve as independent expert members.
The ideal candidates should, inter alia:
- Have a proven record of publications and/or related experience and expertise on issues related to extractive industries and human rights abuse in Africa or in comparative contexts;
- Have proven advocacy and written skills;
- Be available to work for at least 5 hours per week;
- Be able to travel in discharging the Working Group’s mandate such as in country research and information missions, annual meetings, and representing the Working Group in activities related to its mandate;
- Speak French or English, the AU working languages (fluency in both being an asset).
Nominations should be accompanied by a cover letter and curriculum vitae of the proposed candidates, and should be sent to email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org) or to the following address:
African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
31 Bijilo Annex Layout,
Kombo North District, Western Region
P. O. Box 673 Banjul
Proposed names should be received no later than 11 April 2014, as the Commission intends to nominate two (2) new members during its 55th Ordinary Session, scheduled to take place from 28 April to 12 May 2014. 18 March 2014, Banjul, The Gambia