- A FinalizationMeeting was organized by the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission),in order to conclude the Studies on Freedom of Association and Assemblyand the Situation of Women Human Rights Defenders in Africa.
- The meeting was organised in accordance with the Commission’s Resolution ACHPR/Res.151 (XLVI) 2009 on the need to conduct a study on freedom of association in Africa, and Resolution ACHPR/Res.230 (LII) 2012 on the need for a study on the situation of womenhumanrightsdefenders in Africa.
- The Meeting was attended by the following:
- Honourable Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansou;
- Mrs. Elisabeth Gnanvo, Professor, University of Benin;
- Mr. Clément Voulé, International Service for Human Rights and Member of the Study Group on Freedom of Association;
- Mrs. Djingarey Maiga,International Coalition for Women Human Rights Defenders, and Member of the Committee;
- Mrs. Marie-Joseph Acclassato, ABDD;
- Mr. Nassirou Akakpo Abito, ABDD; and
- Ms. Hermionne Medegan Fagla, Lawyer and Focal Point for the Meeting.
4. The Meeting was assisted by Ms. Eva Heza, Legal Officer, and Mr. Fred Tamakloe, FinanceAssistant, from the Secretariat of the Commission.
5. Honourable Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansou, the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders in Africa and Chairperson of the Study Group on Freedom of Association and Peaceful Assembly in Africa, chaired the meeting.
6. In her opening remarks, Honourable Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansouexpressed her gratitude to the participants for their participation and consistent support, and further noted with satisfaction the work that had gone into the two Reports. She also noted that Reports had been presented to and adopted by the Commission, and reminded the participants that aim of the Finalizationmeeting was to ensure that the Reports were duly revised.
7. During the four-day meeting, the participants reviewed and finalized the Reports. Moreover, the participants discussed the way forward regarding the Reports, noting that they will both be officially launched during the Commission’s 56th Ordinary Session, to be held from 14 to 30 October 2014, in Niamey, Republic of Niger.
8. The closing ceremony of the FinalizationMeeting was held on 21 August 2014, at Senator Hotel in Cotonou, Republic of Benin.
Done in Cotonou, Benin, 21 August 2014.