Amongst other things, the Colloquium will consider gender and climate change issues with the aim of strengthening women's participation in sustainable development, creating sustainable livelihoods in rural areas, protecting the environment and natural resources, and addressing climate change.
The following are goals identified to frame the Colloquium discussions:
1. Empowering women to be more effective leaders by linking with their international peers to share best practices;
2. Supporting the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1325;
3. Contributing to the achievement of Millennium Development Goal 3 (MDG3) on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
4. Demonstrating the clear gender dimensions of climate change, environment protection and sustainable development; and
5. Launching the Angie Brooks International Centre on Women’s Empowerment, Leadership Development, International Peace and Security in Monrovia. This Centre will support the implementation of action emerging from the Colloquium through, inter alia, training and research.
For further information, please contact the Secretariat of the ACHPR on:
Tel: (+220) 437 2962;
----------Ends--------------Banjul , 06 March 2009