The objective of the joint promotion mission is two pronged:
- firstly, to promote the African Charter, exchange views, and share experiences with the Government of the DRC, and the major human rights stakeholders in the country on how to enhance the enjoyment of human rights in the country; and
- secondly, to identify progress and challenges, and follow up on various reports/information before the African Commission regarding the human rights situation in the DRC.
- Honourable Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansou - Chairperson of the African Commission and the Commissioner responsible for the promotion of human rights in the DRC;
- Honourable Commissioner, Catherine Dupe Atoki - Special Rapporteur on Prisons and Other Places of Detention in Africa, and Chairperson of the Working Group on Prevention Against Torture in Africa;
- Honourable Commissioner Soyata Maiga - Special Rappporteur on the Rights of Women in Africa;
- Honourable Commissioner Lucy Asuagbor - Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders in Africa;
- Honourable Commissioner Zainabo Sylvie Kayitesi - Chairperson of the Working Group on the Death Penalty; and
- Honourable Commissioner Bechir Khalfallah - Chairperson of the Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights.
The mission will be taking place from 1 to 9 April, 2011.
The Delegation will meet key human rights stakeholders in the country, including senior Government Officials, the Judiciary, the Legislature, Civil Society Organisations, Non-Governmental Organisations and human rights defenders.
The Delegation will also visit prisons and other places of detention in the DRC.
18 March 2011
For further information please contact
Dr Mary Maboreke
Secretary to the African Commission
No. 31 Bijilo Annex Lay-out, Kombo North District, Western Region, P. O. Box 673,
Banjul, The Gambia Tel: (220) (220) 441 05 05 /441 05 06, Fax: (220) 441 05