04 July 2013, Banjul, The Gambia - The Secretariat of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (“the Secretariat”) wishes to inform the general public that at the invitation of the Government of the Republic of Uganda, the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (“the Commission”), will undertake a Mission to the Republic of Uganda from 25 to 30 August 2013.
This Mission, which is part of the Commission’s promotion mandate, is being undertaken in accordance with Article 45(1) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights. The objective of the Mission is to, amongst other things: engage with relevant stakeholders, exchange views on ways and means of enhancing the enjoyment of human rights in the country, and seek information on other human rights issues of particular concern to the Commission.
The Mission will be undertaken by the following Commissioners:
- Honorable Commissioner Lucy Asuagbor, in her dual capacity as Commissioner responsible for human rights in the Republic of Uganda, and the Chairperson of the Committee on the Rights of People Living with HIV, and Those at Risk, Vulnerable to, and Affected by HIV (the Committee);
- Honorable Commissioner Pansy Tlakula, in her capacity as the Special Rapporteur on the Right to Freedom of Expression and Access to Information in Africa;
- Honorable Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabo Sylvie, in her capacity as the Chairperson of the Working Group on the Death Penalty in Africa;
- Honorable Commissioner Med S.K Kaggwa, in his capacity as the Special Rapporteur on Prisons and Conditions of Detention in Africa; and
- Honorable Commissioner Pacifique Manirakiza, in his capacity as the Chairperson of the Working Group on Extractive Industries, Environment and Human Rights Violations in Africa.
During the Mission, the delegation of the Commission will meet with officials from the relevant Government ministries, civil society organizations, a cross-section of human rights actors in the country, as well as other individuals and institutions capable of enlightening the Commission on the general human rights situation in Uganda, and more specifically on the following: the impact of HIV/AIDs and the Government’s response to the same; freedom of expression and access to information; issues relating to prisons and conditions of detention; matters pertaining to the abolition of the death penalty; and information regarding the impact of the extractive industries sector on human rights and the environment.
At the end of the Mission, the preliminary findings will be discussed with the relevant authorities in the Government of the Republic of Uganda and a Press Conference will also be held. Thereafter, a Report of the Mission will be tabled before the next Ordinary Session of the Commission, for consideration and adoption.
For further information, please contact:
The Secretariat of the Commission
31 Bijilo Annex Layout, Kombo North District
P.O Box 673 Banjul, The Gambia
Tel: 220 4410505/6
Fax: 220 4410504