Final Communiqué of the 14th Extra-Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission) held its 14th Extra-Ordinary Session, from 20 to 24 July 2013, in Nairobi, Kenya.
2. The Session was opened by the Vice-Chairperson of the Commission and acting Chairperson, Honourable Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabo Sylvie, with the assistance of Honourable Commissioner Reine Alapini Gansou, the Acting Vice-Chairperson.
3. Honourable Commissioner Catherine Dupe Atoki, Chairperson of the Commission, attended and chaired a section of the Extra-Ordinary Session.
4. The Session was attended by the following Commissioners:
5. Honourable Commissioner Pansy Tlakula and Commissioner Yeung Kam John Yeung Sik Yuen were absent with apologies.
6. Honourable Commissioner Catherine Dupe Atoki, briefed Members of the Commission on the outcome of the 23rd Ordinary Session of the Executive Council, the 21st Ordinary Session of the Summit of the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the African Union, and the celebrations of the 50th Anniversary of the Organization of the African Unity/African Union, which took place in May 2013.
7. The Commission adopted decisions on twenty one (21) Communications, with the following Communications being considered:
(i) Six (6) on Seizure;
(ii) Eight (8) on Admissibility; of which seven (7) were declared admissible, and one (1) declared inadmissible;
(iii) Two (2) Communications on review;
(iv) Three (3) Communications were struck out; and
(v) Two (2) Communications on the Merits.
8. The Commission considered and adopted the following:
(i) Analysis of Article 56(5) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
(ii) Report of the Working Group on Communications;
(iii) Report of the Chairperson on the AU Policy Organs Meeting;
(iv) Report of the Advisory Committee on Staff and Budgetary Matters.
9. The Commission adopted the following Resolutions:
(i) Resolution on the 2013 Elections in Africa;
(ii) Resolution on the Human Rights Situation in the Central African Republic;
(iii) Resolution on the Human Rights Situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo;
(iv) Resolution on the Political Situation in the Republic of Mali;
(v) Resolution on the Arab Republic of Egypt; and
(vi) Resolution on the Human Rights Situation in the Republic of Guinea.
10. The Commission held discussions with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), on proposals for capacity building workshops for Members of the Commission and the Secretariat, to be conducted by GIZ.
11. The Commission also held a meeting with representatives from the African Union Medical Services Directorate, during which medical insurance cover for Members of the Commission was discussed.
12. The Commission decided to hold its 54th Ordinary Session from 22 October to 5 November 2013, in Banjul, The Gambia.
13. The Commission expresses its sincere and profound gratitude to the Government and People of the Republic of Kenya for the hospitality extended to the Members of the Commission during the 14th Extra-Ordinary Session.
20 - 24 July 2013