African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
AGENDA OF THE 23RD ORDINARY SESSION
20-29 April 1998 - Banjul, The Gambia1. Opening Ceremony (public session)
2. Adoption of Agenda (private session)
3. Organisation of work (private session).
4. Introduction Note of the Secretary on the activities of the Commission (public session).
5. Observers: (public session)
- Statements of the States delegates.
- Consideration of requests by NGOs for Observer Status with the Commission
- Questions on the relations between the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the NGOs.
6. Consideration of Initial Reports (public session):
7. Amendment of guidelines on the preparation of period reports by States parties (public session)
8. Procedure for Submission of States’ Periodic Reports (public session)
9. The setting up of an Early Intervention Mechanism in cases of massive human rights violations (public session)
10. Promotional Activities: (public session)
- Activity reports of Commissioners.
- Human rights situation in Africa (promotion and protection).
- Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Examination of the Report of the Special Rapporteur on summary, arbitrary and extra-judicial executions
- Examination of the Report of the Special Rapporteur on prison conditions in Africa
- Publication of the review and the newsletter of the Commission (private session)
- Strengthening the co-operation between the Commission and the national institutions of Human Rights
- Organisation of seminars and conferences
11. Review of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (public session):
- The issue of incompatibility of the membership of the Commission
- Establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- Elaboration of the Draft Additional Protocol on Women’s Rights in Africa.
- Consideration of mission reports: Sudan Report, Nigeria Report
- Follow-up of Mission Reports on Senegal and Mauritania
- Application by States Parties of the decisions of the ACHPR
- Consideration of communications
13. Administration and financial matters (private session):
- Report of the Chairman of the Commission
- Financial situation and functioning of the Secretariat
- Participation of the Commission in certain activities of the OAU
- Construction of the Headquarters of the Commission
- Geographical distribution of the OAU member States among the Commissioners
14. Evaluation of the Implementation of The Mauritius Plan of Action (private session).
15. Methods of work of the Commission (private session).
16. Logo of the Commission (private session).
17. Date, Venue and Provisional Agenda of the 24th Ordinary Session (private session)
18. Any other business (private session)
19. Preparation of:
- The Annual Activity Report
- The Session Report
- The Final Communiqué
20. Adoption of the Annual Activity Report, the Session Report and the Final Communiqué (private session)
21. Reading of the Final Communiqué (public session)
22. Press Conference (public session)