- achpr26-agenda-1999-eng.pdf 11 kB3 pages
African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights
AGENDA OF THE 26TH ORDINARY SESSION
1-15 November 1999 - Kigali, Rwanda
1. Opening Ceremony (public session)
2. Oath by the newly elected members of the Commission (public session)
3. Election of the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson (private session)
4. Adoption of the Agenda (private session)
5. Organisation of work (private session)
6. Observers : (public session)
- Statements by State Delegates, NGOs and guests
- Co-operation between the Commission and the National Human Rights Institutions
- Examination of applications for observer status
7. Consideration of Initial Reports (public session):
;8. The setting up of an Early intervention Mechanism in cases of massive human rights violations (public session)
9. Promotional Activities (public session).
- Activity report of the Members of the Commission.
- Examination of the report of the Special Rapporteur on summary, arbitrary and extra-judicial executions.
- Examination of the report of the Special Rapporteur on prisons and conditions of detention in Africa.
- Examination of the report of the Special Rapporteur on the rights of women in Africa.
- Discussion on the Draft Protocol to the African Charter on the Rights of Women (private session).
- Strategy for a quick ratification of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights on the establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.
- Situation of people with disability.
- Organisation of Seminars and Conferences.
- Human Rights situation in Africa.
- Situation of indigenous people.
- World Conference on Racism.
- Situation of Human Rights defenders in Africa.
- The humanitarian dimension of armed conflicts in Africa.
- Situation of refugees and displaced persons and human rights in Africa
- Promotion of human rights through teaching materials on human rights.
10. Methods of work of the Commission (private session).
11. Evaluation and Implementation of the Mauritius Plan of Action and the role of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights in the implementation of the Declaration and Plan of Action of the Grand Baie (Mauritius) (public session).
12. Review of some provisions of the African Charter in the light of the Protocol establishing the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (private session).
13. Review and Newsletter of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (public session).
14. Protective Activities (private session): Consideration of communications
15. Administrative and financial matters (private session)
- Introductory note of the Secretary on the Activities of the Commission (public session)
- Financial and administrative situation of the Secretariat
- Geographical Distribution of Member States among Commissioners for Promotional Activities
- The issue of the construction of the headquarters
- Participation of the Commission in certain activities of the OAU
16. Logo of the Commission (private session).
17. Adoption of the report of the 25th session of the African Commission (private session).
18. Adoption of resolutions, recommendations and decisions (private session).
19. Dates, venue and provisional Agenda for the 27th ordinary session (private session).
20. Any other business (private session).21. Preparation of:
- The Session Report
- The Final Communiqué
22. Adoption of the Session Report and the Final Communiqué (private session).
23. Reading of the Final Communiqué and Closing ceremony (public session).
24. Press Conference.