- [en]achpr02-fincom-1988-eng.pdf 126 kB2 pages
Final Communique of the 2nd Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples' RightsThe African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights held its Second Ordinary Session in Dakar, Senegal, from 8 to 13 February 1988 under the Chairmanship of Mr. Isaac NGUEMA.
- Present at the Session were the following members,
- Dr. Ibrahim Ali Badawi EL-SHEIKH
- Ali Mahmoud Blondin BEYE
- Alexis GABOU
- Robert Habesh Kisanga
- M. D. MOKAMA
- Youssoupha NDIAYE
- Sourahata B. Semega JANNEH
- The opening Session was presided over by His Excellency Mr. Ibrahima FALL, Minister for Foreign Affairs, representing His Excellency Mr,Abdou DIOUF, President of the Republic of Senegal.
- Dr. Sylvestre NZANZIMANA, Assistant Secretary-General, addressed the Commission on behalf of His Excellency Mr. Ide OUMAROU, Secretary-General of the OAU.
- The Chairman of the Commission, Mr. Isaac NGUEMA, took the floor to welcome, on behalf of his colleagues, all the participants to the opening ceremony which was also attended by the Diplomatic Corps.
- After the opening ceremony, the Commission, pursuing its proceedings,
considered and adopted the following agenda:
- Opening of the Meeting
- Organisation of Work
- Adoption of the report of the First Session
- Brief information on the inter-Session
- Consideration of the Draft Rules of Procedure of the Commission
- Programme of future activities of the Commission
- Adoption of the Final Communiqué
- Date and venue of the next Session
- Any other Business
- Closing Session
- The Commission adopted the report of its First Ordinary Session, held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on 2 November 1988, at which Mr, Isaac NGUEMA was elected Chairman and Mr, Ibrahim Ali BADAWI EL-SHEIKH, Vice-Chairman of the Commission.
- The Commission then considered and adopted its Rules of Procedures comprising 120 Rules. Part I entitled "General Provisions" Deals with the organisation and functioning of the Commission Part II regulate the functions of the Commission by stressing particularly the Rules of Procedure which should govern communications. The promotional and protectional activities relating to human and Peoples' Rights were described in detail in the Rules of Procedure. The Commission decided to edit and publish its Rules of Procedure and Charter in a booklet. A Financial Rules and Regulations would be attached to the said Rules of Procedures
- The Commission also drew up, discussed and adopted a draft future Programme
of Action. A wide-range programme for the promotion of Human and Peoples'
Rights was also formulated and would be widely disseminated. The programme
which would be implemented at successive stages, took the form of catalogue
of actions, the salient points of which were:
- extensive popularisation of the Charter and the Rules of Procedures;
- promotion of human rights through education, teaching, communication and exchanges;
- drawing up of models of periodical reports from State parties and of Annual Report of the Commission;
- establishment of an appropriate reception infrastructure;
- Permanent dialogue with all the organisations which could relay and sustain the actions of the Commission
- The Chairman of the Commission reported on all the activities he undertook during the inter-Session. They were approved by the Commission which also considered the method of carrying out its activities during the inter-session.
- The Commission received the various requests sent through the Secretary-General. A method was defined for their consideration and investigation.
- The Commission pondered at the length over the organisation of Its Secretariat and the resources it needed to be able to carry out fully its task. Proposals would be made in this direction to the Secretary-General of the OAU.
- Dr. IBRAHIM A. BADAWI EL-SHEIKH, Vice-Chairman of the Commission read out the vote of thanks addressed to the President of the Republic of Senegal, his government and the people of Senegal
- The Commission decided to hold its next Session in Libreville During the first half of April 1988, at a date to be fixed later on.
- The Closing ceremony was chaired by H. E. Mr. SEYDOU MADANISY, Minister of Justice, representing H. E. Mr. ABDOU DIOUF, President of the Republic of Senegal.