The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Commission or ACHPR) meeting at its 42nd Ordinary Session held from 15 - 28 November 2007, in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo:
Recalling its mandate to promote human and peoples’ rights and ensure their protection in Africa under the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter);
Recalling Its Resolution Ref. ACHPR/Res.77 (XXXVII)05 on the creation of a Working Group on Specific Issues relevant to the work of the African Commission adopted at its 37th session which took place from 27 April - 11 May 2005 in Banjul, The Gambia;
Noting with appreciation the accomplishments of the Working Group since the renewal of its mandate in 2005,
Considering the interim report of the Working Group;
Considering further the necessity to allow the Working Group to continue to carry out its mandate and address urgent pending issues falling within this mandate;
Decides to renew the mandate of the Working Group for twelve (12) months
Further decides that the composition of the Working Group will be as follows:
1) Commissioner Angela Melo
2) Commissioner Pansy Faith Tlakula
3) Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabou Sylvie
4) One (1) representative from each of the following Non Governmental Organizations
- The Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa
- INTERIGHTS; and
- Open Society Justice Initiative.
Request the Working Group to deal as a matter of priority with the following matters and to report accordingly to the African Commission at its NEXT Ordinary Session:
- The Relationship between the African Commission and the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights
- The Relationship between the Bureau of the African Commission and the Secretariat of the Commission
- The Relationship between the African Commission and the different organs and institutions of the African Union
Further requests the Secretariat of the African Commission to intensify its efforts to mobilize resources that could assist the Working Group to carry out its mandate.
Done in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, 28 November 2007.