1. This activity report is presented in accordance with Articles 23(3) and 72 of the Rules of Procedure of the African Commission which stipulate that at every Ordinary Session, each member should present a written report on promotional activities undertaken during the intercession, and in this instance, in my capacity as the Chairman of the Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights by virtue of the mandate conferred by Resolution ACHPR/Res.73 (XXXVI) 04.
Concerning activities undertaken by the Chairman of the Working Group on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ECOSOC).
2. In the course of the intersession, in keeping with promotional activities of the African Commission, I undertook a Joint Human Rights Promotion mission to Kinshasa, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) from 1st to 9th April 2011 under the auspices of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights (ACHPR). This mission, which was led by Madam Reine Alapini Gansou, provided an opportunity to have fruitful discussions with the senior authorities in the DRC.
3. In my capacity as the Chairman of the Working Group on ECOSOC, I was able to inquire about the status of economic, social and cultural rights in the DRC and to encourage the Government and the social actors to collaborate in their efforts to strengthen the economic framework and to ensure a judicious and equitable use of national resources for the benefit of all Congolese citizens.
4. On 25 March 2011, a Press Release on the transition process in Tunisia and Egypt was published. The new authorities responsible for the democratic transition process initiated in Tunisia and Egypt, were advised to undertake the necessary reforms as soon as possible, taking due cognizance of the economic , social and cultural needs of the population after engaging in open and transparent consultations.
5. I also participated in the group discussion on economic, social and cultural rights organized on 26 April 2011, as part of the NGO Forum, on the sidelines of the 49th Ordinary Session. With regard to recommendations made to the Forum, the discussion group prepared a draft Resolution calling for the gradual implementation of economic, social and cultural rights by African Governments.
6. The Working Group intends to organize a Pan-African meeting in 2012 on the theme “the global financial crisis and its consequences on African economies”. To this effect, the potential partners were sensitized and the Working Group is expected to meet as soon as possible, in order to contribute to the drafting of an agenda, look for partners and a country to host this initiative, etc.
Conclusions and Recommendations
7. It was recommended to all State Parties to the African Charter and to the various stakeholders to continually support the African Commission in general, and the ECOSOC Working Group in particular, with a view to contributing effectively to the realization of promotion and protection missions intended to meet the economic, social and cultural needs of the African People.
8. The Working Group is also in the process of finalizing the guidelines on economic, social and cultural rights for the State Parties for the preparation of their periodic reports. Therefore, the Member States are entreated to take these guidelines into consideration when they receive them.
9. It is also recommended to all State Parties to the African Charter to implement appropriate policies for the realization of the economic, social and cultural rights, including education, health and access to potable water.