This inter-sessional Activity Report covers the period between the 48th Ordinary Session in November 2010 and this Session and is being presented pursuant to Rules of Procedure of the Commission.
The Report is in four parts: Part I covers my activities as a Member of the Bureau, Part II is devoted to my activities as Commissioner, Part III as Chairperson of the Working Group on Extractive Industries, Environment and Human Rights Violations in Africa, Part four IV as a Member of the Working Group on the Death Penalty and Part V as a Member of the Committee for the Protection of the Rights of People Living with HIV (PLHIV) and those at Risk, Vulnerable to and Affected by HIV.
PART III. Activities as Chairperson of the Working Group on Extractive Industries, Environment and Human Rights Violations in Africa
9. This mandate was established at the 46th Ordinary Session of the African Commission held in Banjul, The Gambia, from 11 to 25 November 2009. The purpose of this special mechanism as set out in the resolution that created it are to:
- Examine the impact of extractive industries in Africa within the context of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights;
- Research the specific issues pertaining to the right of all peoples to freely dispose of their wealth and natural resources and to a general satisfactory environment favorable to their development;
- Undertake research on the violations of human and peoples' rights by non-state actors in Africa;
- Request, gather, receive and exchange information and materials from all relevant sources, including Governments, communities and organizations, on violations of human and peoples' rights by non- state actors in Africa;
- To inform the African Commission on the possible liability of non-state actors for human and peoples' rights violations under its protective mandate;
- Formulate recommendations and proposals on appropriate measures and activities for the prevention and reparation of violations of human and peoples' rights by extractive industries in Africa;
- Collaborate with interested donors institutions and NGOs, to raise funds for the Working Group's activities;
- Prepare a comprehensive report to be presented to the African Commission by November 2011;