Recognising its promotion and protection mandate pursuant to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
Noting Resolution ACHPR/Res.194 (L) 11, adopted at its 50th Ordinary Session held in Banjul, The Gambia, from 24 October to 5 November 2011, which established, and appointed the members of a Working Group on Communications;
Further noting Resolution ACHPR/Res.212 (EXT.OS/XI) 12, adopted at its 11th Extra-Ordinary Session held in Banjul, The Gambia, from 21 February to 1 March 2012, which outlines the mandate of the Working Group on Communications;
Recalling the mandate of the Working Group on Communications, which includes inter alia, informing the Commission on the status of implementation of its decisions on Communications;
Referring to Rule 112 of its Rules of Procedure which obligates the Commission to establish a follow-up mechanism for its decisions on Communications;
Bearing in mind that follow-up of implementation entails an array of actions, including monitoring the measures taken by the State Party to give effect to the decisions of the Commission under Rule 112(5) of its Rules of Procedure;
Decides to expand the mandate of the Working Group on
Communications, to entrust it with the mandate to:
1. Coordinate follow-up on decisions of the Commission on Communications, by concerned Rapporteurs;
information on the status of implementation of the Commission’s decisions.
3. Present a consolidated Report on the status of implementation of the Commission’s decisions on Communications at each Ordinary Session, in line with Rule 112 (7) of its Rules of Procedure.
Further decides to modify the composition of the Working Group on Communications as follows;
1. Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabo Sylvie as Chairperson of the Working Group;
2. Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansou, as Member of the Working Group; and
3. Commissioner Pacifique Manirakiza, as Member of the Working Group;
4. Support staff at the level of the Secretariat:
i. The Secretary to the Commission, as the Coordinator of the Support Staff;
ii. Two(2) Senior Legal Officers; and
iii. Two (2) Legal Officers.
5. All Legal Officers at its Secretariat to provide assistance to the Working Group, when necessary.
Adopted at the 52nd Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights in Yamoussoukro, Cote d’Ivoire, 9 to 22 October 2012