1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (African Commission), held its 6th Extra-ordinary Session in Banjul, the Republic of The Gambia, from 30 March to 3 April 2009.
2. Honourable Commissioner Justice Sanji Mmasenono Monageng, Chairperson of the African Commission, chaired the deliberations of the Session.
3. The following Members attended and participated in the 6 th Extra-ordinary Session;
4. The following Commissioners were absent with apologies
5. In welcoming Commissioners to this Extra-ordinary Session, Honourable Commissioner Justice Sanji Mmasenono Monageng, noted that most of the Commissioners were able to travel to Banjul, despite their very busy schedule. The Chairperson, on behalf of the Members of the African Commission, and on her own behalf, also expressed gratitude to the Government of the Republic of The Gambia for hosting the 6th Extra-ordinary Session.
6. The Chairperson noted that the Commission was meeting to clear some urgent pending matters, especially the consideration of mission reports and pending communications.
7. After consideration and adoption of the agenda and the draft organization of work, Commissioner Alapini Reini-Gansou was appointed the Rapporteur of the Session with responsibility to prepare both the Session Report and the Final Communiqué.
8. At the request of the Chairperson, Commissioner Reine Alapini-Gansou gave a brief report on the presentation of the budget at the various meetings of the budget sessions of the African Union in December 2008 and January 2009, which she attended with Commissioners Angela Melo and Soyata Maiga respectively, on behalf of the African Commission.
9. Following the report by Commissioners Reine Alapini-Gansou and Angela Melo, the Commission agreed to form a Committee on Budget and Staff Matters that will oversee the drawing up of the Commission’s budget, activities of Commissioners and the implementation of the new structure of the African Commission as adopted by the Executive Council of the African Union in Decision EX.CL/490 (XIV).
10. The following individuals were appointed of members of the Committee on Budget and Staff Matters:
11. The Commission then examined Promotion Mission Reports and Communications.
12. The Commission considered and adopted the following reports:
13. The Commission adopted withamendments decisions on the Merits of three Communications and decided to be seized of six Communications.
14. The African Commission expresses its sincere appreciation and profound gratitude to the Government and People of the Republic of The Gambia for the facilities placed at its disposal and for their warm welcome and hospitality.
15. The African Commission also thanked those who contributed to the success of the 6th Extra-ordinary Session, especially the interpreters, translators and the entire staff of the Secretariat of the African Commission.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia, 3 April 2009