- achpreo8-fincom-2010-eng.pdf 73 kB2 pages
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) held its 8th Extra-ordinary Session, from 22 February to 3 March 2010, in Banjul, Republic of The Gambia.
2. The following Members attended and participated in the 8th Extra- Ordinary Session:
- Commissionner Reine Alapini Gansou, Chairperson;
- Commissioner Mumba Malila – Vice Chairperson;
- Commissioner Musa Ngary Bitaye;
- Commissioner Catherine Dupe Atoki;
- Commissioner Soyata Maiga;
- Commissioner Kayitesi Zainabo Sylvie;
- Commissioner Mohamed Bechir Khalfallah;
- Commissioner Mohamed Fayek;
3. The Session was presided over by Commissioner Reine Alapini Gansou, Chairperson of the African Commission, who officially eclared the session open.
4. After her opening statement, the African Commission adopted the agenda for the Session.
5. The African Commission considered and took note of the Report of the joint meetings with the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights in Arusha in July and in Dakar in October 2009.
6. The African Commission finalised its Rules of Procedure incorporating the recommendations of the last two joint meetings with the African Court, and the comments from States Parties to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the African Charter) and other stakeholders on the said Rules of Procedure.
7. After amending the Rules, the African Commission decided to defer the adoption of the final version of its Rules of Procedure to its 47th Ordinary Session to be held in May 2010.
8. The African Commission considered its 2010 Budget as approved by the African Union and prioritised its activities in the light of the available funds. The African Commission took various decisions on how to ensure the effective execution of the budget.
9. The African Commission adopted a “Resolution on the Political Situation in Niger”.
10. The African Commission considered 6 Communications. It was seized of one Communication, adopted a decision on the Merits of one and deferred the rest to its 47th Ordinary Session for further consideration.
11. The African Commission adopted the Report of its Forty Sixth (46th) Ordinary Session.
12. The African Commission expresses its sincere appreciation and profound gratitude to the Government and people of the Republic of The Gambia for the facilities placed at its disposal, and for the warm welcome and hospitality accorded to the Commissioners, all of which contributed to the success of the 8th Extra-ordinary Session.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia, 3 March 2010