RecommendationsV - Recommendations
The African Commission recommends to the Government of Cameroon to:
17. Pursue the institutional reforms aimed at establishing or reinforcing all the Republican institutions;
18. Pursue the policies of prison reforms in order to guarantee better conditions of detention;
19. Take measures to protect and integrate the pygmies and Mbororo who constitute minority groups so that these groups can enjoy the rights prescribed in the African Charter;
20. Take adequate anti-corruption measures to eradicate this phenomenon;
21. Take measures to facilitate the economic integration of women;
22. To ensure that the National Human Rights Commission works in close collaboration with NGOs so that the rights enunciated in the African Charter constitute a reality for all the citizens;
23. Inform the African Commission, in its next Periodic Report, of the steps it has taken to address the areas of concern, as well as how it has implemented the recommendations in this Concluding Observations.
Adopted at the 39th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights held from 11 to 25 May 2005, Banjul, The Gambia
This Report covers the period from 1 January 2001 to 18 December 2003, but also includes relevant facts that occurred during the first half of 2004. It presents the new measures taken and the progress achieved in the respect of the rights enshrined in the Charter and the factors and difficulties faced by the Government of Cameroon in implementing the past Commission's recommendations.
The report consists of two parts. The first part presents new facts with regard to the legal and institutional framework under which the protection of the rights laid down in the Charter is being carried out. The second part deals with the new measures and actions that will measure the exercise in Cameroon of the following rights:
- civil and political rights
- economic, social and cultural rights
- peoples' rights and elimination of all forms of racial discrimination
- elimination of all forms of discrimination against women